let’s be honest– thanksgiving has never been about the turkey. the best dishes are always the sides. (mashed potatoes, anyone?) and the pie. definitely the pie too. this year, spare a poor turkey, (and a pig too!), and serve up some beautiful dishes that truly reflect and celebrate the real act of thanksgiving: appreciating wholeheartedly the love and abundance we are blessed with everyday. nothing says appreciation for health and contentment like a kind and cruelty-free feast.
and because thanksgiving is already next week (!!!), to make it easier, i’ve scoured my favorite foodie sites for plant-based thanksgiving-worthy dishes and brought 30 of the best and most tempting right here for you to choose from! recipes with asterisks* are ones i’ve made before and can attest to their deliciousness!
and now, without further ado…
- 1 hour vegan shepherd’s pie : via minimalist baker *
- 5-step pumpkin platter: thanksgiving protein : via healthy happy life
- butternut squash, kale, chèvre & gnocchi casserole : via keepin’ it kind
- pomegranate & chickpea quinoa-stuffed squash : via keepin’ it kind
- vegetables wellington : via serious eats
SIDES, GLORIOUS SIDES!
- cauliflower ‘rice’ with mushrooms & spinach : via one green planet
- cranberry-pomegranate sauce : via serious eats
- fried brussels sprouts with shallots, honey, & balsamic vinegar : via serious eats (note: sub agave for honey)
- herb & mushroom stuffing : via thug kitchen * (my favorite stuffing)
- roasted brussels sprouts with quinoa & cranberries : via thug kitchen * (this dish goes fast!)
- roasted chickpea & kale salad with sun-dried tomato vinaigrette : via serious eats
- rosemary ‘buttermilk’ biscuits : via one green planet
- sautéed green beans with mushrooms & carmelized cipollini onions : via serious eats
- the best vegan stuffing : via serious eats
- wild blueberry cranberry sauce : via healthy happy life *
- butternut pecan sweet potato casserole : via minimalist baker
- high protein garlic mashed potatoes : via oh she glows
- my best creamy potato soup : via healthy happy life
- scalloped potatoes with seitan bacon : via one green planet
- the best roasted sweet potatoes : via serious eats
- chewy molasses spelt cookies with candied ginger : via oh she glows
- crustless pumpkin pie with pecan streusel : via healthy happy life
- maple pecan pie : via post punk kitchen
- pumpkin creme brûlée : via feasting on fruit
- vegan pumpkin pie, 3 ways: classic, rustic, & gluten-free : via oh she glows
- coconut oil pie crust : via oh, ladycakes * (messy, but not too difficult)
- coconut whipped cream : via oh, ladycakes
- hearty vegetable stock : via serious eats
- raw date syrup : via oh, ladycakes
- vanilla coconut ice cream : via minimalist baker (for pie, duh)
there are so, so many options out there! from the gourmet holiday baker to the throw-it-together and get-it-on-the-table types, eating plant-based doesn’t have to be anything short of a simply delicious and heartwarming meal shared with loved ones.
for more meal ideas, check out our vegan thanksgiving pinterest board for vegan thanksgiving ideas!